[OM] Re: Eneloop "Hybrid" cells damaged.

Subject: [OM] Re: Eneloop "Hybrid" cells damaged.
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 04:34:04 -0800 (PST)
We have had too many discussions here in the past on whether there is memory
effect or not in
NiCd's.  There is a lot of good literature on the rather limited conditions
where this actually
occurs, along with other literature on voltage depression effects etc that
often have somewhat
similar symptoms to casual user etc.

There is so much religion and hogwash in this area, it is not worth more
discussion, except to say
if you really want to do deep discharge you should  discharge the cells
individually or you are
rather likely to damage the battery. (Just as I most likely did accidentally,
by leaving the flash
on and reversing one of the cells in deep discharge.)

When I construct batteries with long strings of cells,I add a reverse
protection diode to each
cell, which at least allows the cell to withstand a small amount of reverse
charge when the
battery is deep discharged. The diode keeps the lowest capacity cell's
potential (in reverse),
below the electrolyte gas-dissolution voltage where really major damage occurs.

Tim Hughes