[OM] Re: E-3 specs - specifically weight.

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 specs - specifically weight.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:45:48 -0400
I have no idea what you're talking about when you consider that I don't
like my 5D viewfinder.  I like it just fine and it is part of the reason
I bought a 5D rather than some of those "tunnel view" smaller sensor
cameras.  You're right, the viewfinder isn't 100%.  But it's 96% vs the
OM-1's 97%.  That equates to about 0.6mm around the periphery of the
frame that I don't see.  Close enough for me.

My biggest ergonomic complaint about Canyon digitals is that the effect
of the two main control dials changes meaning with shooting mode.  When
using my Mynolta A1, for example, I have the camera custom set such that
the front dial is always shutter speed and the rear dial is always
aperture.  Exposure compensation is a separate control.  The Canyon's
controls are familiar when it's in manual mode but when switching to
auto modes the front dial becomes either shutter speed or aperture
depending on the mode and the rear dial becomes exposure compensation.
Since I shoot mostly in manual, when I switch to aperture priority
suddenly the aperture control moves to the front dial and when I turn
the rear dial to change the aperture I'm actually changing the shutter
speed because that's the exposure compensation.  I can see the effect in
the viewfinder which allows me to correct my error quickly but I almost
invariably turn the wrong control the first time.  But I rarely shoot in
any auto mode so it doesn't cause much trouble.

My other Canyon ergonomic complaint's are that mirror lockup has to be
done through the menus screens and that the top LCD panel to the right
of the pentaprism contains a lot of useful info that cannot be seen
elsewhere.  When the camera is at eye level on a tripod that panel can't
be read.  The camera has an "info" button that displays important
shooting data on the main LCD on the back but not what's on that top
panel.  A firmware fix could easily display that extra data on the back
with a second press of the info button.

But these are the kinds of things you only discover through usage.  The
A1 has some problems too now that I don't use it so much.  I sometimes
can't remember how to do some things.  I normally prefer a gridded
finder display and sometimes accidentally turn it off.  Getting it back
on again is not intuitive and I usually have to refer to the manual.
Once I read it I slap my head and say, that's simple, why couldn't I
remember that.  Age I guess.

Chuck Norcutt