[OM] Re: E-3 specs - specifically weight.

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 specs - specifically weight.
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 07:05:59 -0700 (PDT)
Dr Flash wrote:
> My biggest ergonomic complaint about Canyon digitals is that the
> effect of the two main control dials changes meaning with shooting
> mode.

Oh, do I understand that!  Same situation with the E-1. Oh, and the
direction of the dial-movement is opposite of what I think it should
be. I'm always increasing F-stop instead of decreasing.

> When using my Mynolta A1, for example, I have the camera custom
> set such that the front dial is always shutter speed and the rear
> dial is always aperture.  Exposure compensation is a separate
> control.

That's the opposite of my preference. I like the front-dial to be
aperture and the rear-dial to be shutter-speed. When in an Auto-mode,
the rear-dials are always exposure-compensation. Oh, how I long for a
seperate manual dial for exposure-compensation like my OM-2S.

> My other Canyon ergonomic complaint's are that mirror lockup has to
> be done through the menus screens and that the top LCD panel to the
> right of the pentaprism contains a lot of useful info that cannot
> be seen elsewhere.  When the camera is at eye level on a tripod
> that panel can't be read.

Ok, can I make a complaint about the E-1?  Please don't howl in glee,
ok?  The E-1's top LCD panel is angled to address this, right?
Unfortunately, Olympus didn't adjust the polarization of the LCD
itself to be viewable from the back. The digits are faded when viewed
from eye level. Sure, they are visible, but not nearly as well as
they could be. I wish that Olympus would have placed a menu-option
for Top-LCD "contrast" adjustment.

My second ergonomic complaint of the E-1 is the "playback" button. It
is so smoothly integrated into the back that when shooting at night I
have a very hard time locating it with my thumb. This is not an issue
when the camera is being handheld, but when tripod mounted it's
impossible to find.

> But these are the kinds of things you only discover through usage.
> The A1 has some problems too now that I don't use it so much.  I
> sometimes can't remember how to do some things.  I normally prefer
> a gridded finder display and sometimes accidentally turn it off.

Yeah, I hear you. The A1 is SO customizable that you need to be an
elephant to remember where all the functions are. However, what I
have done is use the custom-memories. All of my setups are stored in
memories. For example, #1 and #2 are identical, except for the
grid-lines and other display information.  It terrifies me, however,
whenever I have to rebuild my settings because it takes me the better
part of an hour to reprogram the camera.

BTW, speaking of custom-memories, the E-1 has four.  I use all four.
According to my sources, the E-3, with the soft-mode-select now
allows you to store MODE along with the rest of the settings. Nice!

Isn't it amazing--the A1, with ONLY a 2/3" sensor, produces such good
images?  How can that be?

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com