[OM] Re: E-3 vs. K10d

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 vs. K10d
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:06:42 +0800
On 10/22/07, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You should do a closer comparison on feature set before deciding that
> what's competitive should be based on price range vs. actual features.

It has to be at least partly based on price range.

Features are important too, but a device that needs a serious design
effort cannot be evaluated just by ticking off features. You have to look
at the trade-offs made in the design and how they match your needs.

> Even at its low price the Pentax is weather sealed.  It has full support
> for older, manual focus lenses (including mechanical auto diaphragms)
> and supports IS with these old lenses.  The IS needs to know the focal
> length of the lens so the firmware allows you to input the focal length
> for older lenses.  Something that Oly could do but has elected not to.

Those are all good reasons to consider the K10D a better choice for
many people, including me, than the comparably priced Olympus
E510. Or to buy a Pentax rather than E3 and put the savings into
glass.

> I don't think there's an analog to the 7-14 (14-28) ...

That lens is, for some, a reason to go Olympus,or at least 4/3.
The 14-35 F2 will likely be another. No-one else I know of has
anything comparable.

For me, the compact 21 and 70 L lenses are reasons to go
with Pentax. I don't know of comparable 4/3 lenses.

--
Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China