[OM] Re: E-3 vs. K10d

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 vs. K10d
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:23:59 -0700
On 10/21/07, Ali Shah <alizookoman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Although Olympus wants to compete with the likes of
> C*non and N*kon - I believe the real competition will
> be Pentax. The K10d specifically is similar to the E-3
> in many ways. The K10d is less expensive and Pentax is
> offering rebates ...

I think the K10d competes with the E510, not the E3, at least
in pricing terms.

Checking B&H

Pentax     K10D   $699 minus $100 rebate
Olympus  E510   $719
Nikon       D80     $875
Canon      400D   $593

Without IS, I don't consider Canon or Nikon competitive for
my use. I'd take the Pentax on body features and price, but
factoring in lenses, I'm not sure.

The E3 is competing in another price bracket:

Olympus   E3       $1699
Nikon        D200   $1499
Canon       40D     $1299
Canon       5D       $2199

I'm not buying in this range. If I were, I think it would be 5D
for full frame and image quality vs. Olympus for the IS and
lenses like 14-35 F2 which has to be almost perfect for
some uses, like wedding photography.

--
Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China