[OM] Re: E-3 specs - specifically weight.

Subject: [OM] Re: E-3 specs - specifically weight.
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 01:58:02 +0800
Garth

I honestly couldn't have put it better. All the points you raised here
aren't necessarily put in the defence of Olympus. I see your points
rationally and well argued. And correct. The question of economics that you
addressed is also something that a lot of people really need to see even if
it's the 'source of corporate evil' because profits need to be made to
survive.

And that 'gold standard' that you talked about will hardly see the light of
day unless you're referring to Leica but even they nearly bit the dust. And
finally they too saw digital and AF coming together for better or worse.

As to the question so many people have asked me, the answer is yes, there
are nice primes planned for Zuiko Digital range and as for the second
question, again the answer is yes, there will be a distinction of two
sub-groups within the whole range - those for the serious and deep-pocketed
and those for the skint and trodden like me!

K.

On 22/10/2007, Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm also willing to bet that, because all the modern lenses contain
> rare-earth-alloy ring motors to drive the autofocus, you can't reduce
> their size/weight below a certain amount due to minimum requirements for
> things such as magnetic field strength to drive the lens helicoids,
> assembly mass, etc.
>
> Now, if you really wanna shave some weight and size off, ditch the
> motors altogether, make the lenses manual focus and put a focus
> confirmation indicator in the body of the camera.  *That* would go a
> long way toward addressing the issues some of the people on this List
> have with the size/weight issue for the lenses.
>
> Unfortunately, it's not what the larger market is looking for -- Olympus
> doesn't need to sell to the four hundred or so old-school stalwarts on
> this List, but the millions of others considering one modern DSLR system
> versus another.  If I were an idiosyncratic third-party lensmaker with
> deep pockets, I might consider making "gold standard" fixed-focal-length
> manual focus primes for the 4/3rds System, but I'm betting that never
> happens.
>
> That's business.  Oly needs to make profits more than friends of
> old-timers (and I include myself in that category).
>

> Garth

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people" - Emily
Cox