[OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - I - Memory

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - I - Memory
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 01:54:34 -0700
Donald wrote:
> Moose wrote:
>
>> For those benighted souls still in the thrall of Windoze --- And
>> especially for those who asked for a report.
> Good stuff to know, Moose, thanks. I seem to remember reading (Tom's
> Hardware?) that multiple cores gave at least as significant boost to PS
> as extra memory, if not more. Or am I on drugs?

No.  :-)   It's just that there are at least three factors at work, dual
processor, more memory and disk I/O speed. Two processors of the same
speed as the one before, close to 1 gb more memory for PS and nominal
disk I/O about three times as fast, everything will be faster, but by
how much and due in what proportion to which factors will depend on the
actual action being taken.

I'm afraid I'm not interested in a bunch of benchmarking, just that
everything is much quicker, so I don't feel like I'm sitting around
waiting on the program.

Adobe and others will, as usual, do their best to bring the latest
hardware to its knees. :-)

Moose