[OM] Re: [OT] Antivirus recommendation, was: Anybody using Olympus Viewe

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Antivirus recommendation, was: Anybody using Olympus Viewer or Studio with Vista?
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 06:24:36 +0800
On 5/24/07, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ... On advice received here I switched to
> AVG Free perhaps 1-1/2 to 2 years ago and haven't looked back since.
> <http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1>

I use that too and am happy with it.

> > As for the Whine-doze OS saga, XP is it for now. I like others to shed blood
> > pioneering all the necessary bug fixes :)  I reckon that a year or two more
> > would be fine...perhaps by then, I might take a peek at Vista.

Vista has a lot of built-in "security" functions that actually have nothing to
do with system security, only protecting "premium content" for the music
and movie industries. This adds complexity and cost with no benefit to
the actual customer.

A well-known security expert did
"A cost analysis of Windows Vista content protection".
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

His summary:
"The Vista Content Protection specification could very well constitute
the longest suicide note in history."

--
Sandy Harris
Quanzhou, Fujian, China