[OM] Re: Anybody using Olympus Viewer or Studio with Vista?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anybody using Olympus Viewer or Studio with Vista?
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 21:30:23 +0800
I recall some years ago when I was a faithful little urchin who never missed
a call to update Windows. And I went merrily along doing just that. One
lousy day, I completed an update and my entire user account went missing!
And I was forced to use my Administrator account until I could figure out
what went wrong. As it's always the case with Darth and his DarkStar clan,
you can never tell for sure where the problem was. Short of doing a total
pain-in-the-proverbial recommissioning, there was nothing else I could do.

I'm now on my latest ThinkPad for four or so months now and guess what - I
ignore the Updates. I have lost virtually all confidence with these
so-called patches. The main thing I do now - call me ignorant, I don't care
- is to make sure my Firewall is running, and that I regularly do my
definition updates for AdAware and McAfee. I also used to be a dumb stalwart
for Symantec (Corporate Version) until I realised that all it would do was
to migrate infected files to the Quarantine. What made me feel so stupid was
when I discovered that every time a definition was successfully updated,
Symantec would attempt to eliminate the virus from the files in Quarantine
and invariably, these attempts never worked. So I discontinued using
Symantec after my license had expired and upon some advice, I went over to
McAfee.

But I'm not all the convinced with McAfee too especially when my Firefox
decided to play tantrums a little over three weeks ago. It was horrible. You
can read my log on how Firefox played up. I really hate these kinds of
problems. They're not easy to trace. Going on the net and trying to figure
out what the issues are is never easy because the problem might sound
straightforward but the possibilities are endless. But in and amongst these,
McAfee has been mentioned to be a possible cause of some of Firefox's
ailings.

As a result, I turned to the Firefox-lookalike called Flock. As identical as
it might be, it worked like a charm that is, until it became so horribly
unstable just a few days ago. Just a few minutes earlier, I uncovered the
remedy. I removed the historysearch folder and lo and behold, everything
seems okay now. Thankgawd.

I'm still using McAfee at the moment but I might even ditch it altogether
and look for something else. What are your views on antivirus, guys?

As for the Whine-doze OS saga, XP is it for now. I like others to shed blood
pioneering all the necessary bug fixes :)  I reckon that a year or two more
would be fine...perhaps by then, I might take a peek at Vista.

K.

On 23/05/07, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And even two years late Vista still isn't completely ready yet for prime
> time.  That's why I've just bought my first XP system.  I figured that
> when Vista was released it would finally be safe to convert from Win
> 2000 to XP.  Well almost.  Since converting to XP I've had a couple of
> application lockups that I'd not seen before with Win 2000 and just this
> morning I got an auto update from MS containing a serious bug fix for
> the Win installer.  My guess is that XP probably still contains several
> thousand bugs.  Maybe I'll be ready for Vista in about 5 years.
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> Winsor Crosby wrote:
> > About two years according to this:
> >
> > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,2134437,00.htm
> >

> > Winsor
> > Long Beach, California, USA
> >

> > On May 22, 2007, at 2:05 PM, Moose wrote:
> >
> >> How late was Vista from original targeted release date?

> > List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> > List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people" - Emily
Cox

-- Type: application/msword
-- File: Mozilla Firefox Freezing Problem - Log Report.doc