[OM] Re: Anybody using Olympus Viewer or Studio with Vista?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anybody using Olympus Viewer or Studio with Vista?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 15:54:28 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> And even two years late Vista still isn't completely ready yet for prime
> time.  That's why I've just bought my first XP system.  I figured that
> when Vista was released it would finally be safe to convert from Win
> 2000 to XP.  Well almost.  Since converting to XP I've had a couple of
> application lockups that I'd not seen before with Win 2000 and just this
> morning I got an auto update from MS containing a serious bug fix for
> the Win installer.  My guess is that XP probably still contains several
> thousand bugs.  Maybe I'll be ready for Vista in about 5 years.

As long as we are being anecdotal....

I went from Win98 to XP, in my usual way, buying the new OS
pre-installed on a new box. XP has been the most stable OS I've used
since MS-DOS. (No, Chuck, I didn't use OS/2 enough to have an opinion on
that.)

Although I was careful, ordering the free update CD from MS and doing
the reversible version at first, the upgrade to SP2 was completely
painless. I have automatic download of updates enabled. I do screen the
installations to avoid junk like the one that checks whether it likes
your install of XP as authentic. It is authentic, but I don't need that.
In any case, I've gone ahead with all the many other updates and never
had a problem.

We know all apps, including OSs, are full of bugs, it's simply
inevitable. In fact, aren't you the one who quoted statistics on that?
So why would one not want to install the fixes to those that turn out to
be causing trouble? I know you didn't suggest avoiding them, but
someone(s) else in this thread did.

So I'm optimistic - I bought a machine with Vista pre-installed. And
careful - it comes with three year, on-site service.

I really think that buying box and OS together reduces the likelihood of
problems.

I'll find out starting tomorrow. =-O

Moose