[OM] Re: E-20p

Subject: [OM] Re: E-20p
From: r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:26:24 -0400
Roger:

The E-20p has a 2/3rds sized sensor. My query to Olympus regarding using the
FL-40 flash (for the E-20n) with the E-500 was answered with the statement that
it wouldn't work because the FL-40 was not designed for the 4/3rds sensor. I
understand that the FL-50 will work with the E-20 because it has the needed
coverage.

Whether to purchase an E-20 or a new E-410, E-510 etc., is a very subjective
choice. The E-20 is a 5 megapixel noninterchangeable lens camera  with a
9-36mm/f2-0-2.4 zoom lens (which is the equivalent of a 35-140mm zoom 35mm
lens). It has macro capability built in. The E-10 and E-510 cameras are 10
megapixel with lens interchangeability and a far wider range of lens focal
lengths. The E-20 does a good job depending on your intended use. It was a pro
camera at introduction. I like mine very much. However, I felt hampered at
times by the lack of lens interchangeability so I bought an E-500 too. I tend
to use it much more than the E-20 when I am out and about. You may find a used
E-20 on oBoy for around $300. The E-410 with 14-42mm/f3.5-5.6 zoom lens
(equivalent to a 28-84mm zoom in 35mm) will be $800 and the E-510 will be $900.
Bottom line -- as much as I like the E-20 my take is that over time the latter
cameras will offer you more potential for covering a wide range of shooti
 ng possibilities. Two key questions: What do you want to photograph? What can
you afford?

Robert