[OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:59:59 +1100
As I said the last time that this was posted (about a week ago), this
is a remarkably dangerous principle. In a democracy, the government
IS the people - that's the ideal anyway. If it isn't - that's what
elections are for.
Deciding to withdraw your allegiance simply because you have decided
that your government has not deserved your loyalty on some pretext
leads to treason. You can't decide to support your government only
when you agree with it - loyalty is a much more complex political
concept. That's why Britain has the concept of a 'loyal opposition',
a nice principle.
Of course, if you object to democracy itself, because your side lost,
you may choose to agree with Sam.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx