[OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:52:15 +1030
On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 10:21:17AM +1100, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> The member is required to
> demonstrate loyalty to the government or party regardless of personal
> views or even planks in the platform that got them elected. if a
> decision is made democratically within the party then the member must
> support it, regardless of personal views.

This in itself is part of the problem. As a result of 'the party line'
they are sometimes just unable to present the wants of their electorate.
It's unfortunate that we have to wait up to 4 years to show our disgust!

But what's the alternative?  I don't know! Look at what happened to the
AustDemocrats when a few crossed the floor, that left a lot of
dissillusioned voters...

> I've met and
> known many politicians - almost to a person they were decent hard-
> working people...

Agreed. I have spoken with both my state & federal members. they are
nice people, but can be hard to catch up with as a result of the time
thay are putting in!

> ... who were often deeply frustrated by the compromises
> that they had to make to be successful and eventually effective.

In my view though, by the time they ARE successful and effective, they
have often lost touch with the 'real world' in many ways, the result is
legislation that is just nonsensical.

davidt