[OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: lighting again Re: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 01:13:10 +1030
On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 11:29:33PM +1100, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Forgive me but it really seems that you have got your back up over
> this issue and are really casting around for any slender thread to
> support your furious objection at being forced into something you
> don't much want to do.
> Jeez mate - i thought I was contrary.
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Andrew,

I will point out that even thinner gossamer was being used to support
the Mac+XWindows position!

Of course I'm getting my back up at being forced into an unwelcome
change (don't you?), especially when I can see that the plus side is so
minimal & the minus side (which is mostly in some other country - is
that why this is going ahead in this country?) offsetting if not
outweighing it. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I always wonder what the PTBs
are trying to hide under the noise of some change or another.

Of course "old-style" fluoros are bright & efficient. otherwise they
wouldn't be used in commercial surroundings. I will likely have to
install switchable dual-tube 36W 4' battens in areas where I want to be
able to see (because those littly twirly things don't light nothin'!), &
the CFLs will go where vision  is not that important.

At least my concerns about this are genuine and based on first-hand
factory-floor experience (I worked in electronics manufacturing for
nearly 10 years, safe processes = expensive processes!), instead of
reports & articles (usually paid for by somebody, whom?).

The main point is that in things like this, the seemingly invisible big
picture IS important... whether it's the _complete_ lifecycle of a CFL,
the process of the education of our kids to look after their planet the
way we should be doing, the different public health systems, or even the
marketing strategies of a camera manufacturer.

Andrew, I do apologise for making you growl. I'll drop this now, & stick
to my silly sense of humour.

davidt