[OM] Re: X-Windows was: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: X-Windows was: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:04:34 +1030
On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:15:54PM -0600, Jay Maynard wrote:
> I'm using a (gasp) Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 on my Mac.

But was that in the Apple box when you bought it?  No?  You can't do
that!! Isn't the point of the Mac? that it's already all there & you
don't have to buy anything else?  (I'm just kidding...  ;)   it's only a
tool after all).

> X: it's big, bloated, and slow, and solves a problem that no longer needs
> solving, as nobody uses a graphics terminal that's driven by a big
> multiuser compute server any more.

bloated? slow?  you _must_ be thinking of the default KDE window
manager, I suggest you try FVWM1 if you get an opportunity.   ("What do
you mean I have to start programs from a command line?") :)

I guess it all depends on your needs. I usually need many text based
screens open & often need to be able to copy/paste text configs between
them quickly, a simple click-drag-click operation in X (not
click-drag-button-click click-wait-click-drag-click, or
click-drag-click-scroll-drag--do-si-do or similar UI gymnastics moves).

For me, what you see as the 'problem that no longer needs solving' is
one of  the best things about it. I personally like the ability to
offload processes to other machines, yet have their terminals/windows on
my screen, run my apps on my workstation in my environment from another
machine, or to haze the new guys by popping up random images on their
screens! VNC can't compete here by comparison.

To each his own, I suppose, I find what works for others will often
impede my progress. We'll likely need to agree to disagree. In the end,
I imagine that we like the computer to do the work for us, and not the
other way around! Isn't that what it's really all about?

davidt