[OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:42:40 +1030
On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 07:37:38PM -0800, Jan Steinman wrote:

> > From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > I read "Wikinomics" by Tapscott and Williams last Saturday. Their
> > thoughts about openess to group participation seem exactly opposite of
> > how I perceive the Mac community.
>
> Don't feel bad. You aren't the first to make that mistake. Most who
> feel locked-in to Windows don't realize that most of the software
> Apple supplies is actually open source! Only the thin veneer of the
> user interface is proprietary -- you can just as easily run the
> public X-Windows protocol if you prefer. All the external protocols
> are public, unlike Windows. You can download, compile, and install
> Darwin just as easily as you can Linux.

That said, why would you do that when a couple of hundred bucks worth of
generic PC hardware would do that just as well?  (or rather, *better*,
because you buy a mouse that takes advantage of the more advanced
window system capabilities.)

I guess the one thing it gives you is the benefit of being able to
switch to the Mac user interface (which I personally find, after two
weeks of bashing on it, I probably wouldn't be able bring myself to use
by choice).

davidt