[OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:37:38 -0800
> From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I read "Wikinomics" by Tapscott and Williams last Saturday. Their
> thoughts about openess to group participation seem exactly opposite of
> how I perceive the Mac community.

Don't feel bad. You aren't the first to make that mistake. Most who
feel locked-in to Windows don't realize that most of the software
Apple supplies is actually open source! Only the thin veneer of the
user interface is proprietary -- you can just as easily run the
public X-Windows protocol if you prefer. All the external protocols
are public, unlike Windows. You can download, compile, and install
Darwin just as easily as you can Linux.

And by the way, the next version of MacOS X Server (Leopard) includes
an open-source wiki system, integrated with Apple's open-protocol
group scheduling and calendaring system and postfix, the open-source
mail system that comes on all Macs, and a public-domain Jabber chat
server. I run three wikis on my stock Mac server, with no special
effort.

So in terms of Wikinomics, Apple has it all over Windows for
"democratizing the creation of value," as Tapscott and Williams spend
way too many pages explaining.

:::: Jan Steinman 250.537.2024 ::::
:::: Bytesmiths Artists' Services <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/
Services> ::::