[OM] Re: X-Windows was: Re: Communications [was lighting]

Subject: [OM] Re: X-Windows was: Re: Communications [was lighting]
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:17:26 +0800
On 3/11/07, David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > X: it's big, bloated, and slow, and solves a problem that no longer needs
> > solving, as nobody uses a graphics terminal that's driven by a big
> > multiuser compute server any more.

> For me, what you see as the 'problem that no longer needs solving' is
> one of  the best things about it. I personally like the ability to
> offload processes to other machines, yet have their terminals/windows on
> my screen,

Yes, even two old machines can give good performance that way.

Some classic comments on X:

"sometimes when you fill a vacuum, it still sucks" attributed to Rob Pike

"Programming graphics in X is like finding the square root of PI
using Roman numerals." Henry Spencer
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/h/henryspenc170380.html

"the only thing that ever makes me feel good about X is being stuck
using MS Windows instead."

--
Sandy Harris
Quanzhou, Fujian, China