[OM] Re: Canon or Nikon: was What would you do? Now: Horse racing and do

Subject: [OM] Re: Canon or Nikon: was What would you do? Now: Horse racing and dog. Well sort of . . .
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:56:50 -0600

> But that's not the way I read my D200 and 5D manuals.  The 5D manual
> agrees that "Neutral" means no sharpening at all.  The 200D manual (with
> respect to sharpening) defines "Normal" as meaning sharpened by the
> "standard amount".  The 200D reserves the word "None" for "Images are
> not sharpened"
Someone (Winsor?) posted a link to a Canon website about a year ago. It was
a remarkably frank description of their unique sensors. It went along the
lines of "We're so great because we do it ourselves, so we can do all this
stuff others only dream about" and mentioned that there are electronics on
the chip that others have separately. The gist of things is that the image
is processed at an earlier stage that other cameras. Although our discussion
was in regards to "plastic skin," we also surmised that some sharpening is
always applied to their files, where it isn't to other manufacturers files.

Bill Pearce