[OM] Re: digital/film comparisons

Subject: [OM] Re: digital/film comparisons
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:20:13 -0500

> I think that is just a problem with nascent digital projection. Much
> of what your see on the screen projected with film was shot digitally.

Winsor,
>From what I hear, there is little that is shot digitally originally. Stuff
often goes through digital processes for effects and editing, but it mostly
ends back on film. A couple of directors are the exceptions.

 From what I've heard, such problems occurred throughout the
>> U.S. and most theatres removed the digi-systems and replaced them with
>> opticals.  In fact, I don't know if any other movies have been release
>> to theatres in digital format.

I don't think there are that many digital theatres out there. The motivation
is, as always, financial. The only ones that profit are the distrubutors
that save the substantial costs of release prints. There isn't much for the
theatre to gain, and a lot of up front expense that will never be recovered.
Moreover, there is the problem of piracy.

>> Others here have Serious Experience with motion picture technology;
>> any comments?

We're waiting....

Bill Pearce