[OM] Re: scanner advice

Subject: [OM] Re: scanner advice
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 05:43:32 -0700 (PDT)
> Something I've been meaning to try with digital (but haven't
> so far) is
> to shoot the projected image of a 35mm slide.  Since the
> camera can't be
> on the optical axis with the projector I thought the projector
> could be
> setup to produce a little keystoning which could be
> compensated by
> putting the camera at a complimentary angle.

Still won't work. To match keystones you have to be on-axis. You
CAN do this, however, with a shift lens. The biggest problem
remaining is the luminous blooming that occurs when
photographing a projected image. You are best off actually
projecting the images on a piece of plaster board which is
painted light gray. The paint MUST be flat, non-glossy.

BTW, this is a great way of doing a home-theatre system using a
video projector.  To do it even better, put a 3 inch black
border around the image area. With the flat gray paint, the
viewing angle problem is completely eliminated. Of course,
you'll want a slightly brighter projector, but edge-to-edge
lighting will be even and you can view it from any spot in the
room.  Why light gray?  It keeps the highlights from blowing out
and it increases the saturation level.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com