[OM] Re: scanner advice

Subject: [OM] Re: scanner advice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 13:34:11 -0700
Wayne Culberson wrote:
> Okay, I admit that I don't follow these scanner threads until I need help.
> Here is my situation. I've been going through my father and mother's old
> pictures (dad recently passed away so both are gone now). Yesterday, I
> brought home some old Kodachrome slides, some B&W pics shot on probably a
> Brownie Hawkeye and some other smaller format, and some B&W studio photos,
> and some tin type pics. Some of the studio photos go back 100 years or more
> I think, as there are pictures of several generations back that came from my
> grandparents home as well. My brothers and sister would like copies of some
> of these old family photos.
Although I don't have photos so old, I have a similar mixed bag of old
family photos that I want to scan. Although I still haven't made the
plunge, my current choice is the Canon 9950F. It seems to be the best
combination of capability/performance, flexibility and price for this
kind of work.
> Some of theme will need some PS help, some the
> photo stores likely won't duplicate as they are from studios (long since
> closed and gone), and some are slides that I want to make prints from. Most
> of the color photos are faded beyond fixing in my opinion, but there might
> be a few I'd like to copy.

I think you will be astonished at how much apparently lost color info
can be restored. I think most of the scanners come with automated
software for this and there is stand alone software. My few efforts so
far have been done in PS. I think this is the most extreme, where one
could conclude it might be a distressed B&W image
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wife2.htm>.

The edges around the face and hair aren't very good, the result of
working with a small web image from Walt's site. A much better job could
be done with the original scan. And one could be less fanciful with the
lost background, but look at the face, eyes, hair and the sweater
detail. I didn't make those colors up, but pulled them out from the
little info still hiding in the image. And I'm an amateur.

Moose