[OM] scanner advice

Subject: [OM] scanner advice
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 11:58:03 -0300
Okay, I admit that I don't follow these scanner threads until I need help.
Here is my situation. I've been going through my father and mother's old
pictures (dad recently passed away so both are gone now). Yesterday, I
brought home some old Kodachrome slides, some B&W pics shot on probably a
Brownie Hawkeye and some other smaller format, and some B&W studio photos,
and some tin type pics. Some of the studio photos go back 100 years or more
I think, as there are pictures of several generations back that came from my
grandparents home as well. My brothers and sister would like copies of some
of these old family photos. Some of theme will need some PS help, some the
photo stores likely won't duplicate as they are from studios (long since
closed and gone), and some are slides that I want to make prints from. Most
of the color photos are faded beyond fixing in my opinion, but there might
be a few I'd like to copy.

So, is there a reasonably priced flat bed scanner that would handle both
prints and 35mm slides that someone could recommend. I had an old 5100A HP
Photo Smart that is now inoperable because of the connection and card
incompatibility. Anyways, the photo scanning (5x7 max) mode of it didn't
work at all, so I'm not interested in trying to resurrect it.

Thanks,
Wayne