[OM] Re: Nature Photographer Mag?

Subject: [OM] Re: Nature Photographer Mag?
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 10:01:59 -0500

> I don't understand your reasoning.  One can pay $19 for level one
> membership and enjoy the quarterly magazine with its better than average
> content (some of the articles were quite good) until h*ll freezes over
> or choose, and I repeat choose to pay $79 for level 3 membership that
> allows one to submit articles for possible publication.  If your article
> is published, payment is promised for the article and or photographs.
> The $75 membership might be a bit high though no one's forcing you to
> pay it.  Where's the scam?
>
> Richard
It's very simple if you are regularly contributing to national magazines. I
have never heard of a magazine that requires contributors be subscribers,
much less at a highly elevated price. Whatever they pay has to be offset by
the price they charge for the privilege of being published. If they are like
most smaller circulation magazines (I'd be surprised if their circulation is
over 30,000. You'd be surprised at the number of magazines in that area.),
you won't get more than a couple of hundred dollars per page.

I have a friend that is a well-known photographer (a Canon endorser,
regrettably), and he never counts on income from magazines as measurable.
For him, being in something like Flying is marketing.

Once again, this is for out of the mainstream. It is not standard business
practice. It is a means of extortion.

Bill Pearce