[OM] Re: Nature Photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Nature Photography
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 14:43:24 -0700
Ian Nichols wrote:
> What is it that gives the game away?
Well, it just screams PS. But to answer more carefully, there are a
couple things that are impossible in nature.

- You can only see a rainbow with the sun behind you, so a silhouetted,
back lit tree on dark ground in front of a rainbow doesn't happen in
nature.

- The distant trees in the right center and the sunlit ground in front
of them either don't go together or don't go with the other light in the
image.

- I have never personally seen a rainbow where the light inside it is so
different from the light outside it.
> My untrained eyes can't tell.  I thought the main trick was to be in the
> right place at the right time, which
> is much harder to learn than anything in Photoshop, I imagine.

Indeed! I'll concede I could be wrong. If I imagine standing in the
shadow of a hill or building with the sun behind it at sunrise or
sunset, all perfectly aligned with a big tree and rainbow, it could be a
natural shot. Just 'cause I've never seen that kind of light inside a
rainbow doesn't mean it can't occur.

There are also some astonishingly natural looking shots created in photo
editors floating around the web.

Don't give up the dream of making great photos!

Moose