[OM] Re: Intro..

Subject: [OM] Re: Intro..
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 08:14:00 -0400
Welcome, Tim.  As Moose said, the relevant knowledge was printed on
paper back then.  And it still is if you check out your local library or
search the used books stores via Amazon.com.  If you want to learn about
shutter speeds, apertures, flash, etc. etc. just pick up any complete
book on 35mm film photography.  Except for the parts about loading and
unloading film it's all applicable to digital photography as well.

Digital simply adds some important capabilities such as:
- changing ISO any time (probably film ASA rating in old photo books)
- changing color balance without the use of color balancing filters
- instant gratification via "chimping"
- and a few others I'm probably forgetting at the moment

But the photography basics remain the same as they always were.  You can
find a wealth of information in those older books.  Stick with books
from the mid to late 80's and through the 90's which will also cover
autofocus and the more modern automation amenities that will be similar
to what you find on your E-500.

Perhaps someone here can actually dredge up a few especially good
titles.  I've bought some really excellent used specialty photo books
via used book stores that allow their inventories to be searched by
Amazon.  Great books on studio photography, posing, lighting, etc.  I've
gotten excellent stuff for USD 5 or less including the shipping.

Once again, welcome.  If you don't know the answer to something just
ask.  The wealth of knowledge on this site (camera and otherwise) is
just incredible.  The willingness to share it is also just incredible.
Sometimes way too willing so be prepared for long, off topic rambling
discussions.  We need newbies here to re-ask old questions and keep us
on topic.

Chuck Norcutt
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/>