[OM] Re: 28- 300 mm on ebay

Subject: [OM] Re: 28- 300 mm on ebay
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 11:24:53 -0400
I don't know anything about this particular Sigma but our own Moose here
is extremely happy with his 28-300 Tamron in EOS mount.  You find lots
of complaints on the web about quality control of Sigma lenses but I
think these complaints are typically only about the bottom of the price
line.  Some of the higher end Sigmas are excellent performers.

But you do need to understand that a 28-300 zoom lens is a real optical
compromise and may exhibit some artifacts of that.  On the other hand it
will allow you to get a lot of shots you might otherwise miss if you had
to change lenses to get it.  Also, if I was on a safari in Kenya
rumbling across some arid grasslands I don't think I'd be interested in
changing lenses very often in the dust and dirt.

Chuck Norcutt