[OM] Re: some photos and Re: MacbookPro 2.0 Ghz first impressions

Subject: [OM] Re: some photos and Re: MacbookPro 2.0 Ghz first impressions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 00:12:53 -0700
swisspace wrote:
> Thanks for comments, We were busy with the little one so often I didn't
> have time to think about camera settings (and when I did I used the OM
> with 21mm), all were taken raw, I think I read somewhere that photoshop
> cs has the ability to combine two images easily for high dynamic range,
> so I need to work out how to do it in PS 7 or gimp, I seem to remember a
>   mini how to has been posted here so will search back through the emails.

You really shouldn't have to go that far. I don't know specifically
about the Oly RAW conversion software, but generally they have controls
that allow adjustments to exposure, contrast and highlight and shadow
expansion/compression, although they will often be called different
thing. One should be able to recover whatever highlight detail isn't
completely lost in the RAW file through the conversion process, without
needing multiple passes. With most RAW files, there is at least a stop
of detail that can be recovered compared to simply converting using the
camera settings, sometimes a little more.

I've fairly commonly taken multiple exposures at different settings when
shooting high contrast scenes with a camera that can only do JPEG
output, then combined them in PS to get the whole range of scene
brightness into one image, but that's a different thing.

Moose