[OM] Re: some photos and Re: MacbookPro 2.0 Ghz first impressions

Subject: [OM] Re: some photos and Re: MacbookPro 2.0 Ghz first impressions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 20:24:52 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:
> ........a cataloguing application like iView.  ....will provide much more
> control over images than iView; in addition they each provide you with a
> better indication of what is going on.....

Ian, I didn't know what iView is. I see now from what Chris said and
from looking at it on the web that it is a viewing and cataloging app.
It is no wonder that it doesn't provide the functionality needed for
highlight recovery from RAW files.

Now I've looked back and see you have been using iView because it's
faster than your alternatives. Perhaps there is a price to pay for the
speed? ;-)

Try the Oly software (I don't remember which is which.) or download Raw
Shooter Essentials 2006, which will do what you need. It's free. Only
for Windoze, but you run that now on your new Mac, don't you? iView may
be fine for most shots, if you only need JPEG and the algorithms that
reduce the RAW dynamic range to 8 bit give you good results. But it
appears that if you want to deal with things like highlight and shadow
detail that are lost or over compressed in the simplified app., you need
to use a better tool for such shots.

Moose