[OM] Re: E-1 ISO 800 Acceptability

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 ISO 800 Acceptability
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 07:55:35 -0800 (PST)
To insert my dog into this fight...

When printing, noise tends to minimize a little because of "dot
gain". On-screen 100% pixel viewing you see luminous noise
expand--especially with CRTs. However, on when printing, the
opposite happens with the ink expanding into the lighter areas.

I have nearly all of my work printed by a professional lab these
days. The improved print quality over inkjet prints is highly
visible. In fact, when comparing outputs of two different
professional labs I see a dramatic difference between them too.
The one lab I use has a very good RIP and the results in any
size I choose is flawless.  I'm making 16x20 and 20x24 prints
that are every bit the equivelent of anything I managed with
645.

Speaking of such, I'm remembering that the digitization process
of film allowed us to mimick almost an entire format size
increase in the final output.  In otherwords an optical color
print from a 645 neg was about the same as a digital scan/output
print from a 35mm neg.

In the end, what is more important isn't whether or not there is
noise/grain in the image, but that you got the image.  Lately
there is so much fixation on noise and megapixels, but the
overall quality of the images is going down.  Never before has
so much schlock been more technically perfect.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com