[OM] Re: E-1 ISO 800 Acceptability

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 ISO 800 Acceptability
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:31:48 -0500
I wouldn't be surprised that later E-1's may have slightly
better CCDs in them, as production yields and processing can
be tweak over time to improve performance, and there would
be no changes required in the camera, just better parts.

At 05:14 AM 3/10/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>....  I fully suspect that there might be
>variations in the E-1 as well.  Joel's picture illustrates a
>noise level that is much tighter than what I'm seeing from mine.
>Another thing about Joel's shot.  He tends to "expose to the
>right" and may have effectively ended up "pulling exposure"
>during conversion. ...

Clearly the dark regions are the area where noise is worst,
especially since A/D quantization is greater, sensors being
linear and stops being exponential. Exposing to the right is
the new way for digital optimal exposure.

One of my problems with some of the new multi-segment, focus
point selected, metering is not quite knowing what the camera
is thinking.

I really don't know why Olympus abandoned the OM-4t multi-spot
metering, it was so intuitive to me. I find the Canon documentation
to be very sparse, it is really hard to figure out some things.

Lists like this one really help.

Wayne