[OM] Re: E-500 review and other questions

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 review and other questions
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 21:18:22 -0300

> I really don't see what the big deal is with the 1.7 second delay.  When
> using the camera you usually turn it on well before you're going to take a
> photo.  The camera then goes into a sleep mode if you don't use it within
> a specific period of time. Coming out of sleep mode is instantaneous. It's
> like using an OM-1, you turn the light meter on when you're going to use
the
> camera and turn it off when you're done.  You don't turn the light meter
> on/off for each photo.
> -mark

It depends on how you use your camera. I got back from Bolivia a few days
ago, where I took about 1400 photos with the C5050 in 10 days or so. I
missed a lot of shots because of turn-on time and shutter lag. Instant-on
would be very important to me. There were many times I wished I had my son's
Canon XT because of those two features. Those two features would be very
near the top of the list of things I'd be looking for.

If you take 140 photos in a 10 hour day, that's about one every 4 or 5
minutes on average. Of course it's not exactly that evenly spread, but there
were very few daylight hours of the two weeks that I didn't take some
pictures. You could just leave the camera on all day, but that is a bit hard
on battery power, which is a problem when you have no power for recharging.
I had several sets of rechargeables and alkalines along, but it was still a
problem conserving battery power to last that many days. And there, the
problem is really compounded by so many people wanting to see their picture
on the LCD screen after you've taken it.

Perhaps the E-500 is easier on battery power, or uses none in sleep mode, I
don't know.

Wayne