[OM] Re: E-500 review and other questions

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 review and other questions
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 03:08:51 +0200
Le samedi 22 Octobre 2005 22:37, Jeff Keller a écrit :

> I suppose compact flash will eventually go the way of floppy disks, but
> they are pretty pervasive now. They are hard to beat. A $10 adapter will
> give you high speed download to a USB port or you can leave an adapter in a
> open laptop slot converting it into a compact flash slot.

Works also with SD ; I've got a pcmcia adaptator hooked in my laptop for this
purpose. CF may be of bigger capacity, but SD are cheap, easy to come by, and
connect to a wide variety of devices, including cell phones and PDAs (neat to
shoot a pic over the phone from a better source than the pinhole lens & lousy
ccd embeded in said device).

Plus I find SD really convenient to hold a 'safe' of PGP keys ; setup computer
appropriately, point your pda and send key via IR, and /hop/, login - no more
password to key in, bye-bye keyloggers and eavesdrop risks. Makes it very
difficult for a thief to break in without the key, as there's no active
account on the console (IR is considered a serial terminal, just allow this
one), and it's nearly impossible to decipher a disk protected by encryption.

I even favor SD over USB sticks, because the USB connector is very weak while
the SD card is nearly unbreakable.

--
Manuel Viet