[OM] Re: E-500 review and other questions

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 review and other questions
From: jeff-keller@xxxxxxx (Jeff Keller)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:37:46 +0000
I don't think multi-focus points are a gimmick. Some of the bird photogs have
been very successful finding combinations which work for birds in flight. C*non
makes some of the bird photogs happy with what they're providing. With the
E-cameras sometimes I will turn it to a single spot but 99% of the time I
prefer to have it use all three.

Sensor size doesn't really matter(?) Can you get wide angle lenses for the
camera? Will it provide low noise images at the ISO speeds you need? Can you
get a shallow enough DOF? C*non beats Olympus at lower noise at high ISO.
Beyond that it's not so clear ... it's more preference than logic. The D.
Zuikos are nice!

At about $700 for a nice digital SLR, it's hard to go wrong. Didn't the OM-1
sell for about $150 back in the early 70's. Seems like everything but cameras
and computers has gone up in price by 10X. Unless you're making big
enlargements, digital is hard to resist. Using my E300, I've gotten very nice
9x12 prints from Costco. The digital image can be uploaded and the print picked
up a couple hours later. The convenience alone can convince you to go digital
for many images. Although it's not the same as 100 ISO fujichrome images, the
prints are high quality. The differences are similar to changing the type of
film used.

I suppose compact flash will eventually go the way of floppy disks, but they
are pretty pervasive now. They are hard to beat. A $10 adapter will give you
high speed download to a USB port or you can leave an adapter in a open laptop
slot converting it into a compact flash slot.

But I'm still using OM's regularly. Variety is good ;-)
-jeff