[OM] Re: E-500 review and other questions

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 review and other questions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:13:58 -0400
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Because the sensor is noisier Oly applies a fair amount of noise
> reduction processing at high ISO settings to suppress the noise.  Noise
> reduction algorithms, however, have a side effect of reducing detail in
> the image since they can't always tell a real pixel from a false color
> noise pixel.  The same thing happens when you use a film scanner and run
> the scanned image through grain (noise) reduction software.  You will
> typically soften some of the fine detail.

I forgot to add one very important point.  All the business about noise
reduction processing is work that's being done in the camera to produce
JPEG images.  If you're shooting in raw mode none of the noise reduction
stuff takes place... at least if Oly is honest about how they've
implemented raw mode.  That means that if the image is truly noisy
enough that it needs to be cleaned up than you have to do it yourself in
post processing software.  But you get the choice of if and how it's done.

Chuck Norcutt