[OM] Re: E-500 review and other questions

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 review and other questions
From: Peter Leyssens <peterleyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 11:58:40 +0200
Ali wrote:
> I am not shooting celebs or sporting events on a regular basis. 8-))
> Therefore, I am not concerned with startup time. My concern is really
> just getting the most bang for my $$. Finally these DSlr's are within my
> range (and my wife wont take an arm for this).....I want to make this
> last a little bit. Funny...because people used to say that about PC's a
> few years ago....these days it seems that most people are content with
> what they have and would rather NOT upgrade their PC with the latest and
> the greatest.

I keep telling myself I'm waiting for those days to arrive.  Then, of
course, Olympus introduces a new body and I'm all over review web sites
and everything, but that's an entirely different matter.

SLR wise the digital market seems mature enough at the moment.  I don't
need more than 8mp, Oly lenses seem great, noise is hardly a problem at
1600ISO (especially compared to analog), battery life and handling seem
to be no issues at all, etc.  But what I really miss in the current
market is a professional mini-camera.  For 35mm, there were plenty: the
snob cameras like the Minolta TC-1 I have and the Nikon with 35/28mm
(forgot the name), Ricoh, Leica Minilux etc.

In digital, Ricoh seems to disappoint imagewise, and most others are
noise generators in plain plastic boxes.  The only one that seems
anywhere near at the moment is the Fuji F11 zoom.  The Olympus mju
digital 800 only compensates for its small sensor with software noise
removal.

I think that's the great potential for digital: miniaturization.
Unfortunately, current mini cameras are let down by both the CCDs
(mainly because of noise) as well as the processing systems inside
(which I think must be due to cost saving, because lightning fast
processing is most definitely possible).

Give it 5 years and I'm sure it'll be here, but it isn't here yet.

Peter.