[OM] Re: Is Olympus going bankrupt? Am I a creditor?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is Olympus going bankrupt? Am I a creditor?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:15:39 -0700
Scott Gomez wrote:

>California is actually telling people that they need to declare items
>bought over the Internet on their state income tax and pay the
>equivalent CA sales tax, or some such nonsense. I fail to see how they
>could ever hope to enforce such a provision.

Audits. Or simply, as someone else suggested, when trying to catch you
for something else. The tax return form asks if you have any such items
and to pay use tax on them. You then sign the statement on the bottom.
If they put that statement together with proof of unreported/paid out of
state purchases - Gotcha!

The practical situation for most of us ordinary, minor tax grifters is
that it's no problem, but the threat is there.

Moose