[OM] Re: **SPAM** Re: Back up your data.

Subject: [OM] Re: **SPAM** Re: Back up your data.
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:04:47 +1000
>Tom Scales wrote:
> >>From my experience, I'll never use another Maxtor hard drive again.  Your
> >LaCie might have had one inside.  They're very susceptible to heat problems
> >and can't stand being in an external case -- even when they are sold as
> >Maxtor external drives.

>Moose replied:
>Now you tell me!  :-)   Actually, I'm not worried. I just bought and
>installed a Maxtor 300gb SATA drive. However, it is mounted in a 5 1/4
>"  bay in a heavy metal adapter that holds it firmlyon the sides only,
>so it has a heat sink and is also surrounded by plenty of air space on
>top and bottom in a multi fan case. 620gb and climbing..........  Hope
>that holds me for a while. :-)

I've got a Maxtor  3.2Gb HD in my old PC, it's now 8 years old and still
going strong.  And for the first 5 years the PC was never turned off (but
HD powered down when not in use of course).  As Moose mentioned, bad news
travels faster than good. I'm happy enough with my Maxtor experience.

Andrew McPhee
<touching wood>