[OM] Re: SyncBack, was Re: **SPAM** Re: Back up your data.

Subject: [OM] Re: SyncBack, was Re: **SPAM** Re: Back up your data.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:57:04 -0400
Tom Scales wrote:

> I use a product called Syncback, which I really like.  I have my machines
> 'back each other up'.....our family media server has lots and lots of
> storage and all the machines in the house automatically back themselves up
> every night.  Important files (like all my photos), also get backed up to an
> external HD local to the machine.

Thanks to Tom for recommending SyncBack.  It's far superior in function
and interface to the other backup software I was using... not to mention
that it's free.

I should have picked up from the name that SyncBack also does
synchronization between drives/folders.  What I had been using,
"12 Ghosts backup", did synchronization but not in such a way as to be
able to maintain a mirror of another drive.  With "12 Ghosts backup" if
you try to back up all of drive X to drive Y you end up with a folder on
Y named "X_" that contains all of X.  With SyncBack drive Y is a
faithful copy of X (assuming you've set the parameters that way).

In my case I still don't have a complete mirror becuase I'm trying to
back up the boot drive.  It was a true mirror when first created but
SyncBack is unable to copy system files that are in use.  The
non-freebie version puports to be able to copy locked files in some way
so I'll have to look into that some more as I like to maintain the
target drive as bootable as it was when first created.  Anybody know if
this is possible?  Tom?

Thanks,
Chuck Norcutt