[OM] Re: **SPAM** Re: Back up your data.

Subject: [OM] Re: **SPAM** Re: Back up your data.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:46:50 -0400
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> I almost bought LaCie because of the styling and its long past
> association with Apple, but checked the specs on several models and
> they were all Maxtor inside. Both brands have bad feedback if you
> look around with Google. I also had experience with a Maxtor external
> drive and their Firewire bridge was so flaky that the icon would come
> and go on my desktop.
>
> I ended up with OWC. Not pretty, but with Hitachi drives. So far so
> good.
--------------------------------

Well, take your pick.  In 23 years of (personal) hard drive use I've had
two failures.  The first was a Seagate and the second was an
IBM/Hitachi.  I thought the Maxtor had failed at one time but it turned
out to be a bad controller on the motherboard.

I used to run two IDE drives in the case but decided recently that
wasn't such a good idea for heat.  Now I keep a couple backup drives in
external (fan cooled) cases and they're not powered on unless they're
actually working.

I don't think I've had any drive fail in less than 3 years of farily
constant usage so maybe the solution is to keep multiple backups and
replace them every 2-3 years whether they need it or not.

My last couple of drive purchases were 160GB drives at $40 each after
rebates.  One is a Seagate, the other a Western Digital and I just saw a
Toshiba advertised at CompUSA this morning at the same price.

With Mitsui MAM-A gold DVD's at $3 a pop the equivalent storage space of
one of these 160GB drives would cost you $102.  Let's see... which way
should I go :-)

Chuck Norcutt

Chuck Norcutt