[OM] Re: **SPAM** Re: Back up your data.

Subject: [OM] Re: **SPAM** Re: Back up your data.
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:45:04 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Tom Scales wrote:

> I use a product called Syncback, which I really like.  I have my machines
> 'back each other up'.....our family media server has lots and lots of
> storage and all the machines in the house automatically back themselves up
> every night.  Important files (like all my photos), also get backed up to an
> external HD local to the machine.

Don't forget to make an occassional copy on either non-magnetic material
(DVD, CD, etc) or make an offsite copy.  I was reminded of this a few weeks
ago when a lightning strike hit next to the house.  Despite eveything being
on multiple UPS's, the EMF generated by the lighting strike was enough to
cause some damage.  Almost all my USB ports were gone, some ethernet ports,
and most devastating, the non-volatile ram chips in two of the machines were
damaged.  For a while I was really worried that all the hard drives were
also damaged, but luckily they were unaffected (this time :-).  It never
occured to me that anything (other than a major catastope) could destroy all
the machines at once.  Don't underestimate lighting's EMF power.
                                        -mark