[OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:31:51 +0100
Tom Scales wrote:

>> 1. Obsolescence (& depreciation -- pretty much inexorably linked).
>
> I don't really care, as I selected a camera that will take
> unbelievable photos in 10 years or 20 years.  Just because
> autofocus 35mm came out doesn't mean that my OM-1 doesn't
> still take good pictures.

The OM's are now classics. That makes them different. We all know that in the
real world of technology (which is what digital cameras are, after all) the
consumer drives for latest and greatest is all-powerful.

I simply don't believe you'll have those digital cameras in 20 years time. But
you probably will have the OM kit!

> Huh?   My D70, D100 and D2X all are outstanding at manual focus,
> particuarly with my 60Micro.

No proper focussing screen; no interchangeable screen = no manual focus in my
book. Sorry.

> 12mp? yeah, right.  Even my 6mp D70/D100 matched the quality of
>  my 4000dpi scans. The D2X is clearly superior.

Now try projecting it to 6 x 4'. You can't even do it properly with digital,
let alone compete with a £50 slide projector.

> Sell'em.  You'll make it up in film costs.

I couldn't do that!

> You'll also shoot WAY more and get instant feedback. I don't miss
> shooting, processing and scanning all before I can do anything.

The trouble is I hate sitting in front of the computer. Scanning is a PITA, I'm
there with you. But with film I don't have to spend a second in front the
computer if I don't want to.

> Check out your E6 is 10 years.

It will have deteriorated. But you will be able to read it.

> I maintain three copies of my keepers. Two
> on disk and one on CD/DVD.  If I have to convert I will.

I have important digital data. Looking after it and preserving it is a real
nuisance. I now can't read my old Nota Bene files and my WordPerfect 5.1 ones
are difficult, too.

>> 9. Too many buttons for an old fart like me.
>
> Put it on P.  Press the shutter.

That really defeats the object. Why am I so concerned about manual focus?
Because I want control. I can think of nothing worse than being condemned to a
life of "program" mode because I can't control the camera for one reason or
another.

> I may HAVE lots of buttons, but don't USE a lot of buttons.

But what do they all do? Whey aren't they on the OM? Hasn't life become
complicated?

Regards,

Simon