[OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:29:38 -0700 (PDT)
> Hmm, do it all the time. My DLP/HDTV projector is projecting
> on a 10 foot diagonal screen. Stunning.

I've got many images being used weekly in multimedia projection
systems around the world being viewed by thousands of people.
Screen sizes range from 10' to 24' diagonal.  Doesn't matter if
the source is scanned film or the A1 or the E-1, they all are
terrific.  Images from the E-1 are the easiest to prepare,
though.  Another reason to shoot 4/3 is the zero crop
requirement for projection system use.  Just adjust curves,
scale and sharpen.  I've even gotten lazy and will shoot
RAW+JPEG (1024/768) and have distributed the unprocessed E-1
JPEG when on the road and needing to send the images in a hurry.

Compared to slide projection, well, slide projection is nice IF
you've got a dark room, good projection lens and a lot of light.
 A permanently installed projection system in a typical house of
worship (my primary client base) is anywhere from 3000 lumens to
6000 lumens.  With a front projections system (reflected light)
and the latest screen material and an amplified or fully digital
output from the computer or switcher/scaler, the pictures take
on a life that a slide projector just can't match.

> Sold mine. Sold the 90/2 Macro. That's when you knew I was
> over digital and that was BEFORE the D2X.

This might be heresy, but I'm just about done with the OM
bodies. The Zuiko lenses mate very nicely to the E-1 and give me
all the bokeh I need.  As far as B&W is concerned, well, I'm
seriously thinking medium-format here.

> We all know it is a religious argument, but I would challenge
> that the vast majority of 35mm 'holdouts' have really tried
> digital.  Not a P&S and not borrowed a DSLR for a weekend.
> Tried it.

With a few exceptions where the working environment, workflow or
costs are involved, I absolutely agree.  Unfortunately, when it
comes to B&W, digital still pales in comparision, but maybe in
one more generation.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs