[OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:02:49 -0400
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>>> 1. Obsolescence (& depreciation -- pretty much inexorably linked).
>>
>> I don't really care, as I selected a camera that will take
>> unbelievable photos in 10 years or 20 years.  Just because
>> autofocus 35mm came out doesn't mean that my OM-1 doesn't
>> still take good pictures.
>
> The OM's are now classics. That makes them different. We all know that in
> the real world of technology (which is what digital cameras are, after
> all) the consumer drives for latest and greatest is all-powerful.
>
> I simply don't believe you'll have those digital cameras in 20 years time.
> But you probably will have the OM kit!

Not sure I agree with you.  My desktop has 'peaked' and it doesn't need to
be faster. I believe 12mp is at that same threshold.

>> Huh?   My D70, D100 and D2X all are outstanding at manual focus,
>> particuarly with my 60Micro.
>
> No proper focussing screen; no interchangeable screen = no manual focus in
> my book. Sorry.

Uh, the D2X has interchangeable screens. Which one would you like?

>> 12mp? yeah, right.  Even my 6mp D70/D100 matched the quality of
>>  my 4000dpi scans. The D2X is clearly superior.
>
> Now try projecting it to 6 x 4'. You can't even do it properly with
> digital, let alone compete with a £50 slide projector.

Hmm, do it all the time. My DLP/HDTV projector is projecting on a 10 foot
diagonal screen. Stunning.

>> Sell'em.  You'll make it up in film costs.
>
> I couldn't do that!

Yes, you could. Let's face it, was there a person on the planet more into OM
than me? Doubt it.

Sold mine. Sold the 90/2 Macro. That's when you knew I was over digital and
that was BEFORE the D2X.

>> You'll also shoot WAY more and get instant feedback. I don't miss
>> shooting, processing and scanning all before I can do anything.
>
> The trouble is I hate sitting in front of the computer. Scanning is a
> PITA, I'm there with you. But with film I don't have to spend a second in
> front the computer if I don't want to.

All the fear of hours at the computer is wrong. A good digital image takes
CONSIDERABLY less work than a scanned 35mm image. Many just require a crop
and a little USM.

>> Check out your E6 is 10 years.
>
> It will have deteriorated. But you will be able to read it.
>
>> I maintain three copies of my keepers. Two
>> on disk and one on CD/DVD.  If I have to convert I will.
>
> I have important digital data. Looking after it and preserving it is a
> real nuisance. I now can't read my old Nota Bene files and my WordPerfect
> 5.1 ones are difficult, too.

TIFF? I'm pretty confident it will be supported. If not, I'll do a batch
conversion.

>>> 9. Too many buttons for an old fart like me.
>>
>> Put it on P.  Press the shutter.
>
> That really defeats the object. Why am I so concerned about manual focus?
> Because I want control. I can think of nothing worse than being condemned
> to a life of "program" mode because I can't control the camera for one
> reason or another.
>
>> I may HAVE lots of buttons, but don't USE a lot of buttons.
>
> But what do they all do? Whey aren't they on the OM? Hasn't life become
> complicated?

Uh, where's the knob on my OM to change the ISO of the film in the camera?
What about the White balance?  Oh, can't do that with film, can you.

> Regards,
>
> Simon

We all know it is a religious argument, but I would challenge that the vast
majority of 35mm 'holdouts' have really tried digital.  Not a P&S and not
borrowed a DSLR for a weekend.  Tried it.

Tom