[OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Why not digital? (was: Confession time...)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:26:45 -0700 (PDT)
Tom (CWMNBN) Scales wrote:
> I don't really care, as I selected a camera that will take
> unbelievable photos in 10 years or 20 years.

Other than your OM-1, how many cameras have you owned longer
than five years?????????  There are probably at least 200 of us
that have benefited from your habit.  <big smile>  I know that
about half of my kit was shipped from Texas, Florida and
Pennsylvania.  A D3X will definitely be in your future.  So will
a mega printer that will do seemless 20x80' billboards.  And
knowing you, you'll sell off that D2X for hundreds more than you
bought it for.  <another big smile>

> Depends on your point of view. It's cost me less to get a good
> kit than it would have purchasing new OM lenses in their
> prime.

In the early days of the OM line, the prices were very
reasonable. I have the Pop Photog. mags to prove it.  Olympus
equipment was usually 50-75% the cost of equivelent Nikon
equipment.  Once the late 80's hit, Olympus started really
pricing things at a premium.  By the end of the line, it was
beyond acceptable.  Just look at the price of an OM-3Ti.

> My D70 shoots close to 1000 shots on a charge.  My D2X shoots
> 2,200 on a charge.  Battery life?

With a spare battery in bag, I consider battery life with the
E-1 to be a non-issue too.  I've shot over 500 at one time and
still had who knows how much life left.  I don't think my OM-2S
does that well.  I'm thinking a weeklong backpacking trip will
probably require three batteries.  Big deal. LiON batteries are
small and light.  And no more than $50 each if you buy the
genuine ones, $25-30 if you buy brand-x.

> My photography has improved and certainly my quantity has
> improved, leading to more keepers.

And your enjoyment level has increased proportionally.  Sounds
like a deal to me.

AG

Yahoo! Mail