[OM] Re: [OT] Olympus Sales

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Olympus Sales
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 19:50:00 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>Where's Moose?

Geez, can't a guy take a few hours off? :-)

>He should be here saying that you can indeed use your OM
>glass on a Canon.  I know too.  I strapped my new OM-EOS adapter on a
>friend's Canon D60 today and tried out the Zuiko 50/1.4, 85/2, 85-250/5
>and Kiron 70-150/4 to see how easily I could focus.

That's how it all starts. I too started by trying Zuikos on a D60

>I was very surprised to find that I had no difficulty focusing the 85-250/5 in
>subdued daylight in a large room.

I've said before that I find focusing anything from 35mm on up pretty
easy on the 300D, with help from a little light. What surprised me a
couple of weeks ago was using a Viv S1 19-35/3.5-4.5 inside a fairly dim
chapel. At 19mm, I really didn't have trouble focusing. Of course, there
is a lot of DOF, but still, I could see focus come and go as I twisted
the ring. The last two shots in my Chapel gallery were taken with this
combo <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Chapel/>. I took several more
and all came out fine

>Over on the 20D list someone is complaining about exposure measurement
>errors while trying to use his Leica lenses on a 20D.  It doesn't
>measure properly within a couple stops of wide open on the lens.  Since
>Olympus restricts the apertures of OM Zuikos on the E-1 and Moose has
>found exposure measurement problems on his 300D with Zuikos it sounds
>like this may be a fairly universal problem with manual lenses on the
>newer autofocus machines.

I would expect results to vary with camera model, even within the same
brand. The 10D and 300D would likely be the same, but both 350D and 20D
have different metering. That the effect is quite different on the 300D
in auto than manual confirms my feeling that it is an artifact of the
metering systems. I only did a real test with a 50/1.4
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/300Dexp.jpg>, so I can't say whether
the problem is only with wide apertures in an absolute sense, or only
with the relatively widest apertures on a given lens. From the Oly list
of acceptable apertures on OM Zuikos and my practical results, it may be
just at absolute wide apertuers. I ran into the same thing with the 90/2
at the widest couple of apertures.

I understand the effect is just the opposite on the E-1, with correct
exposure at smaller apertures and underexposure at wiser apertures, but
I haven't seen any test.

The beauty with a DSLR is that one can test at no cost, either ahead of
time, as I did with one lens, or on the spot with histogram and flashing
overexposure indication. In essentially all the circumstances in which I
would use MF lenses, there is time to do that.

Moose