[OM] Re: [OT] Replacement rechargeable lithium batteries, was: Olympus s

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Replacement rechargeable lithium batteries, was: Olympus sales
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:37:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 17 May 2005, Andrew Fildes wrote:

> I then bought two off eBay out of Hong Kong for $25 plus $10 postage
> - complete with a charger AND a car adapter which I really wanted -
> both were claimed to be 1700 or 1800mAh 7.4V on the pack (though
> nothing marked on the battery!) and are made in Taiwan.
> It seems to be a clear case of OEM gouging - God help anyone who
> doesn't shop on the bay, in this case.

Don't be so quick to conclude that OEM's are gouging.  I've bought a few
of those cheap Asian batteries (the Olympus version) and after seeing what's
inside, I would never use them.  There's a reason they're inexpensive, they
cut every concievable corner they can.  Everything from leaving out required
protection fuses to using very poor cells.  If you value your equipment,
don't use the really cheap Asian batteries.  Good name brand quality 3'rd
party batteries (eg Enengizer) are a better choice.  They'll cost more but
you'll at least be getting something safe.
                                -mark