[OM] Re: [OT] Lawsuits [was Swiffer [was: Scanner technique]]

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Lawsuits [was Swiffer [was: Scanner technique]]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 19:06:34 -0700
John Hermanson wrote:

>As I understand 'they' are using a program named 'Carnivore' which scans ALL
>email EVERWHERE for certain key words.
>
>John Hudson wrote:
>
>  If anyone read James Bamfords' "Puzzle Palace" [ it was a long tome about
>the NSA ["No Such Agency"!]] in the early 1980s he made it quite clear that
>Uncle Sam had the capacity to monitor, evesdrop on, and record EVERY phone
>call within the USA, those that were made within the US and destined
>elsewhere and those that were entering the country from elsewhere.

Lordy there must be a lot of bored people on the other end. Just
listening to the one end of some long cell phone conversations for a few
moments leads me to believe that listening to and/or reading all that
stuff would take hundreds of thousands of agents and they would lose
thousands to funny farms every month.

Just because they "can", technically, doesn't mean they "can", practically.

How would you like to have tomonitor this and a few hundred other lists
every day, most or all of them on subjects in which you have no
interest? Got to be one of the circles of a contemporary hell.

Moose