[OM] Re: [OT] Lawsuits [was Swiffer [was: Scanner technique]]

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Lawsuits [was Swiffer [was: Scanner technique]]
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 22:02:08 -0300
on 14/05/2005 17:17, Moose at olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wrote:
[snip]
> In the case of Mexico, and the Americas South of the US in general, I
> believe, their legal system is derived from the Napoleanic Code, rather
> than English Common Law. The whole business of liability and torts is
> wildly different than in the US.
Yes indeed. I had to study some cases of medical liability _some famous
examples which occured in the U.S._ and found them very difficult to
understand. Sure I learnt a lot of English while reading that thick book,
but nonetheless had to think things upside-down.

> Last time I was on jury duty, it was a civil case. A young woman on a
> bicycle was admittedly riding on the wrong side of the road and across a
> busy driveway to a commercial establishment, something she did
> regularly, when an middle aged women turning left legally into the
> driveway on a busy street hit the cyclist. The cyclist was suing. The
> lawyers and judge were going through amazing gyrations to get a jury
> that excluded regular cyclists, on the one side, and anyone who might
> think that someone intentionally and repeatedly riding dangerously and
> illegally so as to be where no driver might expect them to be on a
> bicycle in an area of heavy auto traffic might simply be responsible for
> the consequences on the other. Fortunately, I didn't end up on that jury.
Wow, this sounds just the way it's happening here..., more often than not.
Certainly, a 'busy driveway' in Mvd cannot be fairly compared to any one
there, Moose.

Regards,

Fernando.