[OM] Re: D1x digital; E-1 and macro

Subject: [OM] Re: D1x digital; E-1 and macro
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:15:16 +0100
Beware RAID. Very good on managed servers. Very, very bad on unmanaged home
PCs.
It has NEVER been suggested by industry that it represents an alternative to
backing up data,  least of all to a physically separate environment.
Preferably one which is less attractive to thieves than a different but
equally marketable PC, and far enough away that fire, lightning strikes and
power surges / failures won't get your live data and backup at the same
time.
If you are going to use it:
Never stripe without a really good backup plan
Always have an odd number of discs in the array if you mirror (two data plus
checksum)
Pray like mad that your controller doesn't fail.

Julian

Who lives in two different places and backs up his data between them.